Saturday, March 30, 2013

A disclaimer and a plea

I came to the realization that I am not very good at judging the difficulty of certain problems that I am very familiar with.  In particular, in my previous post I said that the problem that I discussed can be understood without any prior knowledge of the subject.  This is true, but I did not realize that it might not be so easy to follow for someone not familiar with the notation and terminology.  This was pointed out to me by several people and in a future post I would like to approach the same subject but taking a step backwards.  I will present some specific examples and explain the concepts a bit more.

One of the goals of this blog is to collect fun math problems that could get and keep kids (and potentially some adults :-) interested in the subject.  But perhaps an equally important goal is to find good ways to present problems/concepts/solutions and to become aware of what sort of prerequisites are needed to understand them.  To that end, it would be great to receive comments from people with different levels of mathematical familiarity, saying what is understandable and what needs more explanation, what are better/different ways of presenting the same material, and finally just which problems they like and which ones they find uninteresting and uninspiring.  All comments are welcome as long as they are in some way relevant (and this should be interpreted in a very broad sense).  We are also always very happy when people share their fun problems with us, whether they are related to something we post about or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment